Mazzy moved to Syracuse from Sudan at the age of four – an experience that motivated her to make change and advocate for others by becoming an attorney.
Mazzy earned her law degree from Syracuse University College of Law where she was the Business Editor for the Journal of International Law and Commerce and president of the Black Law Students Association and the Student Bar Association. For her extraordinary service and contributions throughout her studies, she received the Paul Shipman Andrews Award from Syracuse Law – a special honor to the WWI military captain and peacemaker who later became a dean for Syracuse Law and the Seely Johnson Award – a special honor to Seely Bessie, the first woman graduate of Syracuse Law. During law school, she was a Summer Associate at Bousquet Holstein and clerked for attorney Wayne P. Smith with a special focus in Article 78 petitions.
While completing her undergraduate degree in political science, Mazzy received the Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship, which allowed her to study religion, law, and human rights in France. She also visited Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand while studying technology used by the world’s largest tech corporations. Additionally, she completed legal internships at NYS Assemblyman William B. Magnarelli’s office, the Onondaga District Attorney’s Office and with the Honorable Judge Johnson of Mount Vernon City Court.
- A Powerful Voice for Justice – Syracuse University
- Say Yes Opens Doors to Dreams – Say Yes to Education
- Sisters Empowering Sisters – The Image Initiative, SES 2021
- Syracuse Law – Paulshipman Andrews Award (2022)
- Syracuse Law – Seeley Johnson Award (2022)
- Black Law Students Association – Black Excellence Award (2022)
- Office of Multicultural Affairs – Don Sawyer Award (2019)
- U.S. Department of State – Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship Award (2018)
- Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs – Plato’s Republic Gold Award (2017)
- Refugee and Immigrant Self-Empowerment (RISE) – Board Member
- St. Joseph’s Hospital – Internal Review Board Member
- Samaritan Center – Volunteer
- We Rise Above the Streets – Volunteer
J.D., Syracuse University College of Law, 2022
B.A. Political Science, Syracuse University, 2019