The focus of Kim’s practice is estate planning and estate administration
Kim takes a holistic approach to estate planning. An estate plan is so much more than just a Will or Trust. It is a comprehensive plan for the management of assets during life and disposition of those assets at death.
Estate planning involves keenly listening to a client’s wishes and goals, thoroughly understanding family structure and assets, having an in-depth understanding of the tax and other legal considerations that will form a backdrop to any dispositive plan and synthesis of this information to produce a plan that accomplishes client’s goals with accuracy, precision and efficiency.
Kim prides herself on delivering creative strategies to help clients accomplish their goals comprehensively yet succinctly.
There is no one-size fits all estate plan; what works for one family might not be right for another. Kim works hard to craft estate plans tailored to the particular needs of her clients, including planning for:
- Federal and New York State estate taxes
- Minor beneficiaries
- Beneficiaries with special needs
- Retirement benefits
- Non-citizen spouses and foreign assets
- Charitable giving
- Family businesses
- Lifetime giving
- Revocable and irrevocable trust planning
- Planning for unique real property, including planning for the preservation and/or conservation of vacation homes, family homesteads, farms and forest land
Kim helps clients to understand their options, to clarify and refine their intentions and to create comprehensible and durable estate plans to achieve their unique objectives.
Kim understands the grief and confusion that can accompany the loss of a loved one. Estate administration can seem overwhelming for surviving family members and many people don’t know where to begin. Kim approaches all families with compassion and competence to help them understand both the big picture and the many details that must be addressed to ensure the estate administration process runs smoothly. Kim brings an in-depth understanding of all facets of administration, including:
- Surrogate’s Court proceedings
- Retirement account collection
- Estate tax returns
- All stages of trust administration, from funding to termination
- Post-Mortem planning options
Kim is happy to engage with clients at whatever level of legal services they desire; some clients prefer to hire an attorney to manage the bulk of the estate administration process, while others prefer to do much of the work on their own and simply need a consultant for discrete questions or key steps in the process. At whatever level, Kim helps families find practical solutions to make sure the estate administration is handled with skill and expedience.
Regardless of the nature of the work, Kim views every engagement as not only a discrete project but also as an opportunity to build a lasting relationship with clients, so they have an advisor they feel comfortable calling with questions, whenever those questions may come up.
Community Involvement And Affiliations
- Finger Lakes Women’s Bar Association, Ithaca, NY (March 2007-Present) Founding Member
- Estate Planning Council of Tompkins County, Ithaca, NY (July 2007-Present)
Board Member and Treasurer, July 2007-July 2011
- Hospicare and Palliative Care Services of Tompkins County, Ithaca, NY
Women Swimmin‘ Committee (March 2013-May 2015)
- Served on the Boater Safety Committee for the 2013 Event
- Chair of the Prize Committee for the 2014, 2015 Event
- Swimmer participant in 2011,2012, 2013,2014, 2016
- Planned Parenthood of the Southern Finger Lakes, Inc., Ithaca, NY
Finance Committee (October 2012-May 2014)
- Cascadilla Boat Club, Ithaca, NY
Bylaws Committee (October 2013-May 2014)
Nominations Committee (May 2013)
- Community Foundation of Tompkins County, Ithaca, NY (January 2009-December 2011)
- Chair of the Nominations and Governance Committee, January 2010-December 2011
- Board Secretary, January 2010-December 2011
- Member of the Grant Review Team for Howland Foundation Grant Cycle (2012) and Women’s Fund Grant Cycle (2013 and 2014)
J.D., Harvard Law School, 2003
– Environmental Law Review
B.A. Cornell University, 2000
– Degree with Honors
– Courtney Award for Excellence in Rowing; All-American, 2nd Team in Rowing