Download Full Publication
Anna Putintseva, Esq.
United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”) announced that it is implementing the electronic registration system for employers seeking to file FY2021 H-1B cap subject petitions. Employers are required to register and pay an associated $10 fee for each electronic registration. We can assist you with the registration and submission of the necessary information for the H-1B registration. USCIS will not consider an H-1B cap-subject petition properly filed, unless it is based on a valid registration selection for the applicable fiscal year.
USCIS announced that the registration period will be open from March 1, 2020 through March 20, 2020. USCIS will conduct a lottery to select registration submissions and notify the petitioners with the selected entries by March 31, 2020. Such employers will be afforded at least 90 days to prepare and submit their H-1B petitions.
We urge employers to assess their hiring needs to determine which candidates will require H-1B sponsorship. In order to be ready for the March 1 registration period opening, it is necessary to analyze the employer, the position and the beneficiary to confirm that the candidate is eligible for an H‐1B visa.
Below are the important dates to keep in mind:
- February 24: Prospective petitioners may begin creating H-1B registrant accounts. Employer’s representatives may create an account at any time.
- March 1: H-1B registration period opens at noon Eastern Time.
- March 20: H-1B registration period closes at noon Eastern Time.
- March 31: Date by which USCIS intends to notify selected registrants.
- April 1: The earliest date that FY 2021 H-1B cap-subject petitions may be filed.