Businesses and organizations in need of legal representation on matters involving environmental law, land use, zoning, eminent domain, and administrative agency law can access one of the most experienced legal minds in this area simply by contacting Sidney Manes.
One of Syracuse’s first environmental law practitioners, Sidney brings over 40 years of experience in local, state and national environmental law, with a focus on corporate affairs.
Clients seeking Sidney’s counsel get one of the strongest, most experienced advocates for their interests, both in and out of the courtroom. An exceptional litigator who has been involved in many of New York State’s most influential environmental decisions, Sidney has successfully represented, and continues to provide counsel to, a diverse range of clients, including:
- businesses involved in the chemical, oil, solar energy, and manufacturing industries
- waste recovery companies
- emergency response agencies
- townships and governments
- individuals exposed to hazardous materials
He has also acted as counsel to industries cited for violations of OSHA and New York State labor laws.
Sidney was among the first lawyers to review and lecture on the National Environmental Policy Act, and helped shape the New York State Environmental Section for both the New York State and Onondaga County Bar Associations. A veteran of Federal and State courts, Sidney will counsel clients at the highest levels of the legal system, representing individuals, associations, municipalities and businesses on environmental proceedings. He has also handled administrative law proceedings before New York State’s Department of Environmental Conservation and the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and was recently admitted to practice before the Northern District Court, US Federal Court, and U.S. Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
A member of the New York State Hazardous Waste Task Force and an adjunct professor at several institutions, Sidney has been honored by the New York State Bar Association for providing legal services to the poor, and was the first-ever recipient of the Roth Award for Community Service.
Environmental Law • Land Use • Zoning • Litigation
One of the most experienced legal minds in the area on these important matters, Sidney Manes will guide you through the highly complicated environmental laws and process involved in getting your project approved. For example, he will help you interface with towns, villages, and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation to assess and address concerns about zoning, the aquifer’s impact on water, and any land and air issues.
Sidney is interested in helping not-for-profit organizations get started and on the road to meeting their goals and fulfilling their mission. The recipient of the honorary title “Empire State Counsel” from the New York State Bar Association in recognition of his 50 hours of free legal services to the poor in 2006, Sidney has also been designated as New York State Counsel for his many hours of pro bono legal services, including those he has given to not-for-profits.
- Represented a large gasoline and oil supply corporation in closing a number of gasoline stations
- Represented waste oil transporter
- Represented a national pharmaceutical company
- Represented a metal recovery company
- Represented a number of waste hauler companies
- Currently representing a firm building a solar farm
- Represented a municipal waste disposal landfill
- Founding member of the NYS Bar Association Environmental Committee
- Acted as Counsel on a number of CERCLA actions
- Acted as Town Counsel on environmental issues.
- Served as Counsel in a number of spill cleanup cases
Affiliations & Acknowledgements
- Honoree for 50 Years of Distinguished Service, The Federal Bar Association, 2008
- New York State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Manlius Greenspace Coalition, Board Member
- American Arbitration Association, Panel Arbitrator
- New York State Hazardous Waste Task Force
- Onondaga County Environmental Management Council
- United States Tennis Association, Official
- Northern NY Federal District Court Evaluator
- New York State Counsel
J.D., Syracuse University College of Law, 1954
B.A., Pennsylvania State University, 1950