“What I enjoy most about the practice of law is the ability to use my unique experience to help people resolve the most difficult of circumstances.”
The stress of a seemingly insurmountable tax problem can be overwhelming; oftentimes these problems fester for years causing greater anxiety and concern about whether there is any solution. If you find yourself in this situation, it is so important to find a knowledgeable and trusted tax advisor. It is even better to find such a person who is accessible and responsive. Individuals and businesses facing complicated tax problems call Paul M. Predmore for help because they can expect prompt, personal attention and a reliable assessment of their situation. Paul routinely assists individuals and businesses that are dealing with the IRS or NYS Dept. of Tax in almost any situation including audits, an administrative or judicial appeal after an audit, or when collection activities are threatened or underway. With over 30 years of experience, five years with the U.S. Department of Justice representing the Internal Revenue Service and over 25 years in private practice representing individual and business clients, Paul is able to offer valued guidance. His clients can expect a careful assessment of the situation and plain talk about options that will be cost effective and sensible. As a result of his experience, Paul has an excellent working relationship with federal and state tax personnel and he has solidified his reputation as a highly effective advocate for clients with a variety of difficult tax issues.
If you find yourself or your business in an adversarial situation with either state or federal taxing authorities, Paul can help you—even in the most difficult situations. With over 30 years of experience, both as a government attorney representing the IRS and in private practice, Paul has seen and worked through just about every kind of tax problem. You can feel comfortable sitting down with Paul to discuss your problems and determine the best course of action. He can help whether you are:
- being audited
- wish to file an appeal after an audit
- find yourself having to go to court to address a tax problem
- facing collection activity by the taxing authorities
If you do not believe you owe the tax that is at issue, Paul can help. If you know you owe but you need assistance working out how to pay or how to settle on what you owe, there are options that Paul can assist you with. The author of several articles on tax issues and a lecturer on tax and business topics, Paul is unsurpassed in his ability to analyze the best way to pay, settle, or otherwise resolve your tax obligation.
Services for Small Businesses
If you own a small business or want to get into a new business, Paul can also help in all phases of your operation, from start up to dissolution, including:
• negotiating and closing on the purchase of a small business
• forming not-for-profit corporations and obtaining tax-exempt status
• negotiating agreements among owners, employees, vendors, and other third parties
• resolving disputes that arise in the course of operations
• assisting with the complete range of tax issues for businesses, including income, payroll,
sales, and excise tax, and related penalty issues
Administrative Appeals and Litigation
Tax preparers and accountants routinely assist with IRS and NYS tax audits. Oftentimes these audits involve basic disclosure of records that can lead to areas of disagreement. When such matters can not be resolved, both the IRS and NYS allow for administrative and judicial appeals. When a case goes beyond the basic audit situation, the assistance of an experienced tax lawyer is often essential to achieving the best result. Paul can provide assistance with:
- preserving rights in audits and appeals
- procedural issues (e.g., knowing the correct venue, knowing the strict timelines)
- appealing adverse decisions
- finding ways to resolve cases
- preparing cases for trial
A final note: A resolution to any tax problem requires a complete understanding of your situation; cookie-cutter solutions and television ads can be misleading. Paul will give you a knowledgeable assessment of your circumstances, and a realistic range of the options that make the most financial sense for you. Although several of his clients have settled for significantly less than what is owed, sometimes even less than 5 or 10%, every situation is unique and there is no simple formula. If you are looking for an honest and reliable assessment of your situation, trust Paul’s experience of almost 30 years.
- Successfully negotiated several Offers in Compromise with the Internal Revenue Service for both individual and business taxpayers, typically resulting in substantial reduction of tax obligations.
- Represented several small businesses in Central New York in sales tax audits and administrative appeals, including a prominent advertising agency, several restaurants, property management companies, contractors, and medical practices.
- Represented individual and corporate taxpayers in IRS income tax audits and administrative appeals on a range of complex issues.
- Negotiated payment arrangements with both the IRS and NYS for unpaid income taxes, payroll taxes and sales taxes that were within financial parameters of the client.
- Negotiated and closed the purchase of several small businesses, including a specialty tool manufacturer, an insurance business, restaurants and an employment search agency, light manufacturers and other service providers.
- Formed several not-for-profit corporations and obtained tax-exempt status from the IRS for each entity.
- Negotiated and closed on the construction financing, equity financing, HUD and Housing Trust Fund financing for several low income housing tax credit projects in New York State.
Community Involvement & Acknowledgements
- Housing Visions Unlimited, Inc. – General Counsel
- Onondaga Citizens League – Past President and Board member. Co-Chair of 2013-2014 Study on Early Childhood Development
- Housing Portfolio Unlimited, Inc. – Board Member, Secretary
- Loretto Foundation – Past President and Board of Trustees Member
- Onondaga County STOP DWI – Past Advisory Board Member
- Super Lawyers – Upstate New York Edition, 2015, 2016
- Leadership Greater Syracuse, 1995 Graduate, Past Board Chair
J.D., Albany Law School, 1984, Cum Laude
B.A., St. John Fisher College, 1981, Summa Cum Laude
United States District Court, Northern and Western Districts of New York
United States Tax Court