“We often touch many different aspects of our clients’ lives – representing them in both their business and personal lives. We are enthusiastic about the work we do and the connections we develop with the other professionals we work with. Together, we strive to bring our clients’ aspirations to life and provide counsel to them during their most difficult times.“
Larry is a founding member of the firm and serves on the Board of Managers. He has performed extensive work involving acquisitions, sales, and mergers; partnership taxation; capital formation; enterprise structuring; feasibility studies; partnership and limited liability company law; commercial transactions; estate taxation and business transition planning; and New York and federal income, estate, and gift taxation.
Larry serves as special counsel and as general counsel to businesses across many industries. In recent years, Larry has acted as lead counsel in business sale and reorganization transactions with gross asset value in the billions of dollars. For each of his clients, Larry serves as a trusted adviser to assist in the development of strategic solutions that achieve the business, personal, and economic objectives of the client.
Larry is deeply committed to his community, a core value of the firm’s company culture. Throughout his career, Larry has served on the boards of directors of many charitable organizations – including as president of the Hiscock Legal Aid Society, chair of the Volunteer Lawyers Project of Central New York, chair of the Crouse Health Foundation, and chair of the Everson Museum of Art.
Larry is especially proud of the work of the Onondaga Citizens League where, in 2005, he was the chair and principal writer of the study on Strategic Governmental Consolidation, guiding a year-long community wide process that examined all aspects of municipal consolidation and its applicability to local governmental structures.
Larry was a member of the Consensus Commission on Local Government Modernization. He served on Mayor Stephanie Miner’s Economic Development Transition Team and was a Member of County Executive Joanie Mahoney’s Transition Team Task Force for Government Modernization. Larry also served as Chair of former Congressman Dan Maffei’s Transition Team.
Larry is an honors graduate of Kenyon College and the Syracuse University College of Law, where he served for many years as an adjunct faculty member co-teaching a course on partnership taxation.
- Real Estate Development
- Financial Services
- Advertising, Marketing, Public Relations, and Digital Media
- Municipal Services
- Food Manufacturing, Processing, and Distribution
- Charitable Foundations, Not-for-profit Corporations, and Tax-Exempt Organizations
- Newspapers and Media Companies
- Professional Service Entities
- Served as tax counsel to a variety of major real estate development projects in the greater New York City area, relating to the allocation and validation of brownfield tax credits and other related economic and partnership tax structuring.
- Acted as lead transaction counsel for a nationwide business in the municipal services industry, overseeing all aspects of negotiation of disclosure documents, letter of intent, oversight of due diligence process, negotiation of all transaction documents with respect to the project negotiation with representatives of private equity firm and portfolio company, oversight of tax structuring, and equity rollover aspects of transaction.
- Served as lead counsel for a transaction of a nationwide retail business and associated real estate enterprises, advising on all aspects of tax structuring, negotiation of transaction documents, and coordinating with in-house counsel and financial team, outside accountants, and ancillary counsel.
- Served as lead transactional counsel for the sale of a regional third-party administrator of health products to a first-tier public corporation, involving coordination with the investment banker, negotiation of transaction documents, oversight of the due diligence process, and negotiation of related real estate transactions.
- Represented an investment advisory business in sale to strategic buyer, involving the coordination of all aspects of due diligence and negotiation of transaction documents with investment bankers, coordination with SEC and FINRA counsel.
- Represented owner of legacy production facility in sale, including oversight of due diligence process, investment banker negotiations on all aspects of purchase agreements, escrow negotiations, and all aspects of matters concerning release of escrows in coordination with client’s general counsel.
- Provided counsel to the Greater Syracuse Chamber of Commerce, Inc. (“Chamber”) and the Metropolitan Development Association of Syracuse and Central New York, Inc. (“MDA”). Advised the Strategic Partnership Committee formed by the MDA and the Chamber on legal issues relating to a potential combination or affiliation of the entities and their subsidiaries and affiliates. In the process, the firm conceived of the structure for the combination and affiliation of the governing structures of the 26 entities involved in economic development in the Central Upstate New York Region, which plan was successfully implemented. The firm prepared and presented a “MDA/Chamber Feasibility Study” which was submitted to the Strategic Partnership Committee and to the Boards of Directors of both the Chamber and MDA. The firm was subsequently employed by CenterState Corporation for Economic Opportunity with respect to certain discrete projects, including the implementation of the plan set forth in the MDA/Chamber Feasibility Study.
- Represented CenterState CEO in the establishment of venture capital fund for the Central Upstate New York Region.
Affiliations and Acknowledgements
- Best Lawyers in America – 2013-2023
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated
- Syracuse Law Honors Award – Syracuse University College of Law, 2021
- Margot Northrup Award – Crouse Health Foundation, 2019
- Distinguished Lawyer Award – Onondaga County Bar Association, 2017
- Everson Medal – Everson Museum of Art, 2016
- President’s Award – Catholic Charities, 2016
- Founder’s Award – Syracuse City School District Educational Foundation, 2015
- President’s Award on behalf of firm – Greater Syracuse Chamber of Commerce and Metropolitan Development Association of Syracuse and CNY, Inc. for work on the feasibility study for the Chamber/MDA merger
- Goodwill Ambassador Award – International Center of Syracuse
- Congressman Dan Maffei’s Transition Team – Chair, 2009
- Mayor Stephanie Miner’s Economic Development Transition Team – Member
- County Executive Joanie Mahoney’s transition team – Task Force for Government Modernization
- Onondaga County Bar Association – Past member Board of Directors
- Central Current, Inc. – Co-founder, Director, and Treasurer
- Dunbar Association, Inc. – Treasurer, Board of Directors
- Syracuse University Libraries Advisory Board – Member
- Crouse Health Foundation – Board of Trustees, Chair of Nominating Committee
- United Way of Central New York – Book Buddies Volunteer
- CenterState Corporation for Economic Opportunity – Member, Board of Directors, former member of Executive Committee
- Volunteer Lawyers Project – Past Chair, Board of Directors
- Hiscock Legal Aid Society – Past President, Board of Directors
- Everson Museum of Art – Past President and Board Chair, Chair of Turner Cezanne Exhibition Committee (2006-2010)
- Syracuse 20/20 – Past Member, Board of Directors
- Consensus (Commission on Local Government Modernization) – Former Commission Member
- Onondaga Citizens League – Past President and former Chair of Study Committee on Strategic Government Consolidation (2005)
- Rosamond Gifford Foundation – Past Chair and Trustee
- Syracuse City School District Education Foundation – Former Member of the Board of Directors; Past Chair of Grants Committee
- Syracuse University College of Law – Former Adjunct Professor of Partnership Taxation and of Real Estate Transactions II
- International Center of Syracuse – Past President
- Eastwood Youth Lacrosse Association – Co-Founder and Coach
J.D., Syracuse University College of Law, 1980
B.A., Kenyon College, 1977
United States Tax Court
United States District Court, Northern District of New York