“My interest is in acting as trusted adviser for clients to assist in the development of strategic solutions that achieve business, personal, and economic objectives when a client plans for the future or is confronted with challenges and opportunities. I work to achieve a client’s goals in a collaborative and inter-disciplinary manner with the client’s other professional advisers, employees, and stakeholders.”
Larry is a founding member of Bousquet Holstein PLLC and serves on its Board of Managers. He has performed extensive work involving acquisitions, sales and mergers, capital formation, enterprise structuring, feasibility studies, partnership and limited liability company law, commercial transactions, estate taxation and business transition planning, and New York and federal income, estate, and gift taxation.
Larry serves as special counsel and as general counsel to a number of businesses in industries as varied as trucking, the nationwide leader in municipal sewer root control products and services, worldwide events management, bulk and specialty dairy products processing, food bar manufacturing, assembly and fabrication of pneumatic and hydraulic systems and sub-assemblies, and the local community college. For each of his clients, Larry serves as a trusted adviser to assist in the development of strategic solutions that achieve the business, personal, and economic objectives of the client.
Larry is a Director and past member of the Executive Committee of CenterState CEO. Larry is the past President and current board member of the Onondaga Citizens League, where he was the Chair of the 2005 study on Strategic Governmental Consolidation. In that respect, Larry guided a community wide process over a period of more than a year that studied all aspects of municipal consolidation and their applicability to governmental structures in Onondaga County. Larry was the principal writer of the study report. He is a former member of the Consensus Commission on Local Government Modernization. Larry also served on Mayor Stephanie Miner’s Economic Development Transition Team and was a Member of County Executive Joanie Mahoney’s Transition Team Task Force for Government Modernization. He served as Chair of Congressman Dan Maffei’s Transition Team.
Larry is Immediate Past Chair of the Volunteer Lawyers Project of Onondaga County, serves on the Board as Treasurer for the Dunbar Association, Inc., and is Immediate Past Chair of the Board of Trustees of Crouse Health Foundation. Larry is the immediate Past Chair of the Board and continues to serve as a Trustee of the Gifford Foundation, and currently serves on the Syracuse University Libraries Advisory Board. Larry is a past President of the Everson Museum Board and continues to serve as an honorary Trustee. Larry also served as the Chair of the Turner to Cezanne Exhibition Committee for the Everson. He served for many years on the Board of Directors of Hiscock Legal Aid and is a past President of the Society. He also is a past Director of the Syracuse City School District Educational Foundation where he served as Chair of the Grants Committee for six years.
Larry is an honors graduate of Kenyon College and the Syracuse University College of Law, where he served for many years as an adjunct faculty member co-teaching a course on partnership taxation.
- Negotiated and closed the sale of a first tier manufacturer/supplier to the automotive industry and developed and implemented the strategy for all aspects of the transaction including negotiations with County and State, creditors, ERISA compliance issues, ESOP participant issues, environmental issues, and all aspects of purchase agreement;
- Negotiated and closed the sale of a regional real estate brokerage firm including negotiations with franchisor, former owner, and buyer, sale of ancillary real estate and mortgage banking enterprises;
- Acted as lead acquisitions and mergers attorney in the sale of a real-time performance management company with offices in the United States and France to a public company in a cash out merger transaction;
- Negotiated and closed the buy-out of a group of family held real estate enterprises ventures;
- Negotiated work out and sale of a financially troubled regional internet service provider in northern New York State;
- Represented a mortgage broker in all aspects of its merger with a mortgage banker, including the negotiation of the merger agreement, operating agreement, and regulatory approvals;
- Represented and negotiated the sale of a food products manufacturer to an industry leader, including all aspects of the asset purchase agreement, real estate lease, employment and consulting agreement, tax, environmental, and intellectual property issues;
- Designed and implemented a like-kind exchange transaction that involved numerous radio station properties;
- Completed the successful tax free split-up of two family-owned businesses and associated real estate;
- Negotiated the settlement of a multimillion dollar claim by the United States Department of Labor against the administrators and fiduciaries of a Multiple Employer Welfare Association (MEWA).
- Counsel to Armory Square Venture Capital Fund
- Provided counsel to the Greater Syracuse Chamber of Commerce, Inc. (“Chamber”) and the Metropolitan Development Association of Syracuse and Central New York, Inc. (“MDA”). Advised the Strategic Partnership Committee formed by the MDA and the Chamber on legal issues relating to a potential combination or affiliation of the entities and their subsidiaries and affiliates. In the process, the firm conceived of the structure for the combination and affiliation of the governing structures of the 26 entities involved in economic development in the Central Upstate New York Region, which plan was successfully implemented. The firm prepared and presented a “MDA/Chamber Feasibility Study” which was submitted to the Strategic Partnership Committee and to the Boards of Directors of the both Chamber and the MDA. The firm was subsequently employed by CenterState Corporation for Economic Opportunity with respect to certain discrete projects, including the implementation of the plan set forth in the MDA/Chamber Feasibility Study.
- Represented CenterState CEO in the establishment of a $25 million venture capital fund for the Central Upstate New York Region.
- Serve as special counsel and as general counsel to a number of businesses in industries as varied as trucking, the nationwide leader in municipal sewer root control products and services, worldwide events management, bulk and specialty dairy products processing, food bar manufacturing, assembly and fabrication of pneumatic and hydraulic systems and sub-assemblies, and the local community college.
Affiliations and Acknowledgements
- Recipient of the 2019 Crouse Health Foundation Margot Northrup Award, which recognizes extraordinary service by board volunteers who emulate the vision and commitment of the late Margot Northrup, the Foundation’s first president.
- Honored by the Onondaga County Bar Association with the 2017 Distinguished Lawyer Award.
- Recipient of the 2016 Everson Medal presented by the Everson Museum of Art in honor of his service to the museum and many other local organizations, which have had a lasting impact on the greater Syracuse community
- Honored with the Catholic Charities 2016 President’s Award at their Annual House of Providence Dinner
- Recipient of the 2015 Syracuse City School District Educational Foundation Founder’s Award.
- President’s Award on behalf of firm from Greater Syracuse Chamber of Commerce and Metropolitan Development Association of Syracuse and CNY, Inc. for work on the feasibility study for the Chamber/MDA merger
- Congressman Dan Maffei’s Transition Team, Chair (2009)
- Mayor Stephanie Miner’s Economic Development Transition Team, Member
- Task Force for Government Modernization, County Executive Joanie Mahoney’s transition team international Center of Syracuse Goodwill Ambassador Award
- Best Lawyers in America – 2013-2016
- Martindale -Hubbell AV Rated
- Onondaga County Bar Association, past member Board of Directors
- Dunbar Association, Inc. , Treasurer, Board of Directors
- Onondaga Citizens League, Board of Directors – Past President and former Chair of Study Committee on Strategic Government Consolidation (2005)
- Syracuse University Libraries Advisory Board, Member
- Volunteer Lawyers Project, Immediate Past Chair, Board of Directors
- Americanization League of Syracuse and Onondaga County, President
- Crouse Health Foundation, Immediate Past Chair of the Board of Trustees
- Trustee, Everson Museum of Art, (Past President and Board Chair, Chair of Turner Cezanne Exhibition Committee 2006-2010)
- Syracuse 20/20, Past Member, Board of Directors
- Consensus (Commission on Local Government Modernization), Former Commission Member
- Hiscock Legal Aid Society, Past President
- CenterState Corporation for Economic Opportunity, Member, Board of Directors
- Rosamond Gifford Foundation, Past Chair, Board of Trustees
- Syracuse City School District Education Foundation, Former Member of the Board of Directors; Past Chair and current member of Grants Committee
- Syracuse University College of Law, Former Adjunct Professor of Partnership Taxation
- Onondaga Citizens League
- International Center of Syracuse, Past President
- Eastwood Youth Lacrosse Association, Co-Founder and Coach
J.D., Syracuse University College of Law, 1980
B.A., Kenyon College, 1977
United States Tax Court
United States District Court, Northern District of New York