“I think that clients have come to know that I’m looking out for their best interests even when I am insistent on the way that certain things must happen. No one hires the litigation attorney to be a nice guy. My clients know that I am smart and tough. I’ll go out and do the difficult—and occasionally unpleasant—work on their behalf.”
Litigation by its nature is an arduous and challenging undertaking. Success requires setting realistic goals, creating intelligent tactics, undertaking meticulous preparation and retaining seasoned, confident counsel. Micha Ordway’s experiences representing both plaintiffs and defendants in and out of the courtroom along with his dauntless advocacy have made him a sought-after attorney for corporations and individuals alike, whether it be for commercial litigation matters, labor and employment claims or personal injury action.
Micha also practices in the areas of alternative dispute resolution through arbitration and mediation and is a Panel Member for the Fourth Judicial District’s Part 146 Roster of Neutrals.
A long-time cyclist and distance runner, Micha has a particular passion for representing bicyclists, runners and endurance athletes of any kind who have been injured through the negligence of others.
Highly regarded for his ability to navigate through the often confusing and chaotic litigation process, Micha assists his clients with determining their needs and goals and generates strategies designed to achieve the best outcomes possible – all the while keeping the economics of litigation in mind.
A skilled courtroom attorney, Micha has litigated a wide range of matters from inception all the way to the New York’s highest Appellate Court. His experience includes:
- Banking disputes under Articles 3 & 4 of the U.C.C.
- Business disputes/ dissolution actions
- Complex commercial litigation matters
- Construction law
- Contract disputes
- Employment discrimination and retaliation claims in state and federal courts and before the New York Division of Human Rights.
- Insurance coverage disputes
- Labor and employment matters
- Personal injury and product liability claims with a particular focus on bicycling litigation and representing endurance athletes of every level
- Scaffolding law claims under Labor Law 240
- Shareholder derivative actions
- Unfair Labor Practice Charges before the National Labor Relations Board
- Wage and Hour claims
- Whistleblower suits
Micha also practices in the areas of alternative dispute resolution through arbitration and mediation.
- Resolved arbitration for individual client seeking to recover compensation due in employment contract with large medical practice group;
- Resolved claim brought against individual client alleging violation of their constitutional rights related to Right to Petition government agency;
- Granted summary judgement for large government contractor in arbitration before American Arbitration Association dismissing claim for Breach of Contract seeking 10 million in damages. Arbitrator awarded client dismissal and fees and costs of arbitration. Directed plaintiff to reimburse client fees and expenses.
- Resolved wrongful death action for estate of decedent who was killed in motor vehicle accident.
- Obtained no probably cause determination for employer client in gender-based discrimination action pending before New York State Division of Human Rights.
- Resolved class action for commercial client alleging violations of Public Health Law limiting cost of records production.
- Won an appeal in the New York State Court of Appeals regarding an insurance coverage dispute on a general liability policy on behalf of the plaintiff.( Joseph Kassis and Kassis Superior Sign Co., Inc., v. The Ohio Casualty Insurance Company)
- Defended a national banking corporation in a wide variety of commercial matters in both state and federal court;
- Defended a local physician’s office building in the United States District Court for the Northern District of New York for alleged overtime violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act resulting in the Plaintiff voluntarily discontinuing the action;
- Represented a large corporation in an action brought against it in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York for alleged violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act resulting in a settlement favorable to the corporation;
- Defended a motion for summary judgment for an individual in a complex negligence case, which led to a favorable resolution of the individual’s claim;
- Represented the president of a local corporation seeking declaratory judgment matter against an insurance company that improperly denied coverage under a commercial liability policy, resulting in a motion for summary judgment in which the court determined that the insurer was obligated to provide a defense to the insured;
- Obtained a favorable result for a large corporation seeking to enforce the terms of a settlement agreement reached with an individual plaintiff;
- Settled a favorable litigation suit on behalf of a local corporation involving a claim for breach of a commercial contract;
Affiliations And Acknowledgements
- Fourth Judicial District’s Part 146 Roster of Neutrals, Panel Member
- Northern District of New York Federal Court Bar Association
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- The Central New York Business Journal’s “40 Under 40”, 2007 Honoree
- Super Lawyers – Upstate New York Edition, 2015-2019
- Baldwinsville Scholarship Foundation, Board of Directors
- Town of Lysander, Zoning Board of Appeals, Board Chair
- Salvation Army of the Syracuse Region, Advisory Board Member
- Former Member, Baldwinsville Central School District Board of Education, Vice President
- Central New York Community Foundation Future Fund Project, Founding Member and Former Member of the Steering Committee
- Former Committee Member, Lysander Republican Party
J.D., Albany Law School, 1997
B.A., Hamilton College, 1990
United States District Court, Northern and Western Districts of New York