“My stock in trade is my experience, advice and time. With these I build client relationships through which we address immediate, short-term needs as well as prepare for long-term results. My comprehensive understanding of a client’s business needs and objectives result in the best, most effective and rewarding relationships.”
J.P. has more than 20 years of experience providing legal services and strategic business consulting to public and private companies, as well as individual entrepreneurs. J.P. works closely with clients in all aspects of business planning, including entity formation, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, contract negotiation, asset protection, regulatory issues and public and private securities issuances.
J.P. has extensive intellectual property experience, covering software creation and licensing, trademarks, copyrights and complex technology licensing and sharing agreements.
J.P. is a strong advocate for small business, especially in the restaurant and hospitality sectors. Having worked in both the front and back of house, he is familiar with the unique challenges facing restaurants, which are especially onerous in New York. As a member of the Firm’s Restaurant, Hospitality & Beverage Law Group, he provides counsel on business matters, intellectual property, licensing, tax and labor matters to restaurants, bars, breweries, distilleries and vineyards.
Prior to joining Bousquet Holstein, J.P. practiced at Bond, Schoeneck & King in Syracuse, as well as Morgan, Lewis & Bockius in New York City. He was General Counsel for NBTY, Inc. (an NYSE company in the highly regulated nutritional supplement industry) and Defenshield, LLC (a small company in the very competitive defense contracting sector). J.P. is a seasoned advisor to Board and executive teams, providing practical risk assessment, transactional and regulatory solutions, across a spectrum of industry sectors.
J.P. is a graduate of The University of Michigan Law School and Le Moyne College in Syracuse. J.P. was a Fulbright Scholar in Economics in Lesotho and South Africa. For several years he was an Adjunct Professor in the MBA Program at Le Moyne College, teaching Business Law and International Business Law. He has provided seminars to clients on a variety of topics, including intellectual property and regulatory compliance.
J.P.’s experience has taught him that there is no one-size-fits-all “solution” for a client. In order to provide the best, most effective and practical solution, he must understand a client’s needs and goals.
J.P. focuses his practice on:
- Business organization and planning
- Merger and acquisition transactions
- Intellectual property protection
- Securities issuances
- Contract negotiations
- Risk assessment and management
- Counseling restaurant and hospitality clients
J.P.’s experience includes:
- Negotiated the sale of a regional company for $10 million, post-closing securing several hundred thousand dollars in earn-out and sellers’ personal goodwill tax benefits.
- Negotiated $300 million sale of a medical financial services company, simultaneously addressing state and federal licensing requirements, and planning post-sale financial packages.
- Addressed multiple open securities issues and adjustments and repaired prior ownership records while negotiating the sale of broker-deal for $80 million.
- Managed pre-sale review, bid process, national review, coordination of assets and transfers to sell a national municipal services company for $90 million.
- Managed extensive Intellectual Property (IP) portfolio for large international supplement manufacturer.
- Provided extensive support and review while restructuring transactions to accommodate state licensing issues for a $10 million sale of a regional company.
- Managed the $10 million corporate spinoff of a regional dairy products company including extensive collaboration with an investment banker consultant.
- Negotiated a multiple software suite and integration for a state-wide property management company while coordinating with four vendors.
- Routinely engage in corporate license, IP development, joint venture, and investment products.
- Substantial private placement experience, including complex contributions, subordinated debt, and waterfall payouts.
- Negotiated investment and third-party renewable energy products, including farm clientele.
The University of Michigan Law School, Juris Doctor, 1996
Ritsumeikan Daigoku, Kyoto, Japan, July – August 1996
Rijks Unieversiteit Leiden, Leiden, Netherlands, January 1996 – May1996
Fulbright Scholar, Economics, Lesotho & South Africa
Barclays Bank, PLC, Political-Economic Analyst, Maseru, Lesotho
Le Moyne College, Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, summa cum laude Integral Honors Program; Edward Egan Medal for Highest GPA; ΠΓΜ (Soc. Sci. Honors Society)