Practicing law for over 10 years, Aaron has consistently worked to ensure his clients’ objectives are heard and addressed while also focusing on new, innovative strategies to help clients achieve their goals.
Aaron has spent nearly his entire career practicing in the areas of estate and tax planning, elder law, trust and estate administration and litigation, and guardianship matters, but his extensive experience in administrative law and compliance, and other related business matters have enabled him to creatively expand his practice into new, emerging legal markets.
Trust and Estate Planning
Aaron has learned that no two clients share the same facts, issues, and concerns. However, he has grown acutely aware that unexpected tragedies, disabilities and death can have many similar emotional and financial impacts upon individuals and their loved ones. He works diligently to truly understand each client’s personal circumstances and wishes while providing the best professional estate and tax advice and representation possible to meet their goals and serve their best interest.
Aaron has significant experience working with clients to help them properly plan and structure their personal assets, as well as family-owned business entities, to ensure that their families and loved ones can remain financially secure and protected in the face of disability or death. He also assists with comprehensive long-term care planning and Medicaid planning for individuals who currently receive such services and for those who may anticipate the need for such services in the future. Aaron’s extensive knowledge and understanding of trusts and probate procedure allows him to assist with any and all trust and estate administrative affairs and any litigation that may arise from these matters and he is well versed in New York guardianship statutes and proceedings. As a specialized matter, he frequently consults and assists personal injury plaintiffs and their counsel with respect to the impact of settlement proceeds on eligibility for public benefits as well as protection of settlement proceeds.
Aaron’s priority is to approach all of his clients with dignity and respect. His primary goal is to ensure that each and every client feels comfortable with his representation and receives the same professional care and attention. Many of his clients face difficult decisions and it is important to Aaron that his clients have developed a level of security and trust with him so they can face those difficult decisions together.
Aaron’s extensive experience assisting clients with various governmental administrative compliance and procedural matters inspired him to help develop the firm’s new Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)/Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) Practice Group. The law in this area is still very much unwritten from a legal standpoint. However, Aaron has grown acutely aware of the exponential growth and development of the commercial drone industry in the U.S., particularly in the Central New York Region, and has seen the benefits that such an industry could have for many businesses across an unlimited number of industries. As a result, he has worked to build and lead a team of seasoned corporate and administrative attorneys at the firm, drawing from their unique talents, to provide clients with the necessary legal guidance and government compliance for this new, emerging industry. In particular, Aaron, drawing from his administrative and business-related experience, assists both individuals and corporate clients with interpretation and compliance with FAA rules and regulations pertaining to UAVs, with the preparation and filing of Part 107 Waiver requests, and with general business-related assistance to help better position clients to enter and succeed using UAVs for commercial purposes.
Aaron is a native of Central and Western New York. He received his Bachelor of Arts from Hobart College in Geneva, New York and his law degree from George Mason University School of Law. After law school he began his legal career in Denver, Colorado. He eventually returned to the region after having lived and practiced for several years in Colorado and remains licensed as a Colorado attorney. Aaron strongly believes in community involvement. He has been active with local organizations and currently serves as a Trustee for Temple Concord in Syracuse and on the Board of Directors for Interfaith Works. In the past, he has participated in the Young Jewish Professionals Leadership Program run through the Jewish Federation of Central New York and he is a 2015 graduate of Leadership Greater Syracuse. In November 2014, Aaron was recognized as a recipient of the “Forty Under 40” Award for Central New York. He was also recognized as a 2017 “Super Lawyer” in the 2017 Super Lawyers Magazine for Upstate New York. Aaron lives in Jamesville-DeWitt with his wife, Lisa and their son, Jack.
Affiliations and Acknowledgements
- Member, Onondaga County Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association (Trust and Estate and Elder Law Section member)
- Member, Colorado Bar Association (Trust and Estate and Elder Law Section member)
- Member, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
Awards and Acknowledgments
- Super Lawyers of Upstate NY – 2017-2019
- Super Lawyers of Upstate NY – 2015 Rising Star
- Central New York’s “40 Under Forty,” Class of 2014
- “Medicare Set-Asides in Personal Injury Cases: Is There a Standard Method of Practice?”, NAELA Journal, Vol. 8, No. 2, Fall 2012
- “End of Life Care,” OCBA Elder Law Fair, Syracuse, NY May 2014, 2015
- “Using SNTs for Personal Injury Settlements and Inheritances,” NYSBA CLE: Utilizing Supplemental Needs Trusts for Persons with Disabilities, Syracuse, NY, May 2015
- “Supplemental Needs Trust Basics,” New York State Bar Association, Elder Law Section, Summer Meeting, Hershey, Pennsylvania, August 2014
- “Basic Trust and Estate Issues,” CLE program, Bond Schoeneck & King, PLLC, Syracuse, NY, April 2014
- “Drafting Supplemental and Special Needs Trusts,” NYSBA CLE: Advanced Document Drafting for the Elder Law Attorney, Moderator and Chair, Syracuse, NY, November 2013
- “Settling Personal Injury Actions: Structured Settlements, Settlement of Medicare and Medicaid Claims, the Medical Indemnity Fund for Neurologically Impaired Infants,” New York State Bar Association, Elder Law Section, Fall Meeting, Albany, NY, October 2013
- “Special Needs Event,” Menorah Park, Syracuse, NY, August 2013
- “Advanced Directives,” Elder Law Fair, Syracuse, NY, May 2013
- “Basics of Elder Law Practice,” New York State Bar Association, Elder Law Section, Syracuse, NY, May 2013
- “Elder Law: Basics of Elder Law A-Z,” Law Review Seminar, Denver, CO, July 2012
- “Medicare Subrogation Rights in Personal Injury Settlements,” Colorado Bar Association, Denver, CO, 2007
Community and Involvement
- Leadership Greater Syracuse, Class of 2015
- Volunteer Member, Finance Committee for Alzheimer’s Association, Central New York Chapter (Sept. 2014 – Present)
- Onondaga County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project – Volunteer with Upstate Medical Center Legal Clinic (2014-Present)
- Onondaga County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project – Volunteer with Surrogate’s Court Legal Clinic (2013-Present)
- Jewish Federation of Syracuse Young Leadership Program (2014-Present)
- F.O.C.U.S. Greater Syracuse Age-Friendly Steering Committee Member (2014-2015)
- YMCA Camp Cory Alumni Committee Member (2013-Present)
- Private Services Committee Member, The Colorado Fund for People with Disabilities (June 2011 – December 2012)
- Roots and Branches Foundation, Rose Community Foundation (July 2011 – April 2012)
- Board of Directors, The Colorado Fund for People with Disabilities (March 2007 – December 2009)
- Partner/Volunteer, Social Venture Partners Denver, The Denver Foundation (March 2007 – December 2010)
- Glass Partners in Leadership Program, The Anti-Defamation League, Mountain States Division (2007)
George Mason University School of Law, Arlington, VA – Juris Doctor, May 2005
Hobart and William Smith Colleges, Geneva, NY – Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude , June 2000